Friday, December 27, 2013

Classic cocktails: Grog

In the vein of winter warmers such as hot toddies and spiked coffee, I decided to give grog a try. Now, I detailed this experience in my recent navy inspired bartending video, but the time given in that video simply isn't enough justice for this old navy gem.

For those of you who didn't watch my video, here's the recipe:

- an ounce or two of rum (Kraken Black is my rum de jour)
- two teaspoons of brown sugar
- half a squeezed lime
- a slice of either orange or grapefruit
- 4 oz of hot water

Mix the rum, sugar, and lime juice together by stirring or shaking, before topping off with hot water and your slice of chosen citrus fruit. 


The drink was named after its inventor. One admiral Edward Vernon, or 'Old Grog'. He created the drink, intending the combination of ingredients to work against scurvy. It didn't work any more than one would expect, of course, but the drink lived on for some time.

Today, its fallen out of common usage, but people still remember the word 'grog', and associated with an old times drink of unknown origin. Except of course, now you know!

Enjoy, rum fans! I know I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
blogger widget